Currency: Barbadian Dollar (BBD)
Airports: Grantley Adams International Airport (BGI)
Known for: Beautiful Beaches, Rum, Harrison’s Cave, Cricket (Sport)
Official Tourism Website: visitbarbados.org
Drives on the: Left Side
Calling Code: +1 246
Pride and Industry
Renowned for its sophistication and charm, Barbados will make you swoon with her enchanting beauty. This island offers boundless liveliness, turquoise waters and white sand under your bare feet. Paradise unspoilt, her tropical rhythm beckons you to explore, to desire her more. That’s Barbados!
Lovers stroll leisurely under towering palms swaying over turquoise waters; waves gently roar and crash against the shores of this beautiful coral island, Barbados stands alone, exclusive in its offerings. Secluded spots for romantic rendezvous in a land touched by joy, warmth, friendship and a stunning beauty you will never forget.
If you’ve been dreaming of a heavenly destination wedding, imagine Barbados! Imagine tropical waters lapping at your ankles as you watch the sun wave its farewells at the edge of day. Imagine its smile as you exchange your vows against the backdrop of an abandoned sugar mill, in a botanic garden or even at a plantation house.
Imagine all you can, but Barbados will still surpass your every desire for your special day!’
The easternmost of the chain of Caribbean islands, St. Vincent and the Grenadines is Barbados’ closest neighbor, 100 miles west. Getting to Barbados is easy as there are numerous direct flights, connections and charter service from major cities in the US, Canada and Europe, as well as from other Caribbean countries.
Accommodations are wide-ranging – choose from 5-star luxury properties to all-inclusive resorts from historic plantation houses to intimate boutique hotels, or just select a charming Bed and Breakfast. There’s the ideal place for every traveler.
While in Barbados, you can simply relax and enjoy a quiet vacation just soaking up the sun, savoring the sumptuous epicurean delights and enjoying a cocktail made with one of its famous rums. You may opt to take in a cricket match or just explore the beautiful island. Take a tour and soak up the stunning tropical landscapes, the unique wildlife, and visit one of the beautiful Botanic Gardens.
The famous Harrison’s Cave is not to be missed! A tram-ride underground reveals flowing streams, deep pools of crystal-clear water, the formation of towering columns and the slow-growing stalagmites.
Love life on the water? There are many water sporting activities for you. Take a dive or snorkel along the coast and among the variety of colorful fish.
You have imagined Barbados… now go experience Barbados and be blown away!
Marriage Requirements for Barbados
There is no required waiting period or minimum length of stay to get married in Barbados! Application for a marriage license must be made by both parties in person at the office of the Ministry of Home Affairs. between the hours of 8.30am and 3.30pm Monday to Friday. You will require:
- Valid passports and birth certificates.
- If either party was divorced, an original Decree Absolute or a certified copy of the Final Judgment. The Decree Nisi is not accepted.
- If either party was previously married and widowed, a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate and Death Certificate in respect of the deceased spouse.
- For a Church ceremony, the relevant documents must be sent by your priest to the priest in Barbados.
- Arrangements should be made with a Magistrate or Marriage Officer to perform the wedding ceremony, prior to applying for the marriage license. A letter from either the Magistrate or Marriage Officer must be presented at the time of making the application.
Please note that ALL documents must either be in English or must be accompanied by a translation certified by an authorized Notary Public (NOT a Justice of the Peace).
Fees for a Civil Marriage Ceremony – performed by a Magistrate:
- US $125 (BDS $250) - for ceremonies held in the court
- US $175 (BDS $350) - for ceremonies held out of the court
Marriage License Service Fees – as applicable
- For issue of a marriage license – US $100.00 plus US $12.50 in stamp
- For issue of a marriage certificate – US $10.00
- For solemnization of a civil marriage – US $50.00
- For issue of a certificate Publication of banns (in case of a church weddings) – US $37.50
- For lodging objections to issue of marriage license or magistrate's certificate – US $75.00
- For issue of a medical certificate – US $25.00
- For special requests associated with issuance of a license (for example on weekends, holidays or locations other than the Ministry, e.g. at a hospital) – US $50.00
Please note that if either party is a citizen, permanent resident or immigrant of Barbados, fees are usually less.
For questions or additional information, please contact:
Ministry of Home Affairs
Phone: 1-246-535-7260 | Fax: 1-246-535-7286 | E-mail: email@example.com
Please note that while it is not required to have a professional Wedding Planner, hiring one is recommended to take care of everything detail and arrangement. From choosing the best wedding date and obtaining the necessary licenses to securing the photographer and booking accommodation for you and your guest. Wedding Planners can make your life easy and plan and coordinate your Perfect Wedding Day. For a listing of Wedding Planners that work with the Barbados Tourism Marketing, Inc., please click here.
Important Links For Barbados
To learn more about Barbados, please see the important links below:
Entry Requirements for Barbados
How to Get to Barbados
Find a Travel Agent: https://www.visitbarbados.org/plan-your-trip/travel-partners
Find a Tour Operator: https://www.visitbarbados.org/plan-your-trip/travel-partners
Find Flights to Barbados: https://www.visitbarbados.org/plan-your-trip
Find Cruises to Barbados: https://www.visitbarbados.org/plan-your-trip/cruises
Barbados Trip Planner
Places to Stay in Barbados
Things To Do Barbados
Getting Around Barbados
Barbados Tour Guides: https://www.visitbarbados.org/your-stay/personalised-services/tour-guides
Calendar of Events
Festivals and Events: https://www.visitbarbados.org/things-to-do/events-and-festivals