Tourism Tagline: “Belize is a curious place”
Currency: Belize Dollar (BZD)
Airports: Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport (BZE) – Belize have over a dozen other airports used mainly for travel within the destination and its smaller islands and cays.
Known for: Mayan Pyramids, The Blue Hole, The Belize Barrier Reef, Black Orchids (the national flower), keel-bill toucan (the national bird)
Official Tourism Website: travelbelize.org
Drives on the: Right Side
Calling Code: +1 501
Under the Shade I Flourish
Mother Nature and history worked overtime on Belize! An adventurer’s paradise, where Mayan Pyramids tower above rainforest canopies. An incredibly colorful array of marine wildlife find protection in Belize’s Great Barrier Reef. Join us in Belize!
If you envision a unique wedding or honeymoon, Belize is the place for you – that is, if you like beautiful beaches, tropical gardens, swaying palm trees, glorious sunsets and of course, summer-like weather. And whether you are considering a legal or a religious ceremony, getting married in Belize is easy-breezy. In fact, we welcome the opportunity to design your perfect day.
Belize is a diverse country with various cultures and languages and the lowest population density in Central America (about 35 people per square mile). Known for its extreme biodiversity and distinctive ecosystems, Belize has many jungles, wildlife reserves, several species of flora and fauna and the largest cave system in Central America. Among Belize's flora and fauna is the very special black orchid, the country’s national flower and the ever-beautiful keel-bill toucan, the national bird.
It is home to the world-famous Blue Hole Natural Monument, a marine sinkhole that is 1,048 feet in diameter and 407 feet in depth. Although known as one of the best dive sites in the world, it has been described as diving down a mineshaft inhabited by sharks. Not for the faint-hearted. The world’s second largest barrier reef lies just 43 miles off the coast of Belize City and is the largest reef system in the Western Hemisphere.
There are no large resorts or hotels in Belize. However, Belize is home to a variety of small and midsize properties and a variety of small nature-oriented eco lodges across the interior. You can live among the trees and be one with as hundreds of species of birds fly by. Admire monkeys and sloths in the tree-tops or learn about the flora surrounding your room from generally available tour guides.
These properties can range from considerably basic and comfy to deluxe. The more popular resort destinations of Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker and Plaencia offer a wider variety and a higher standard of accommodations.
Marriage Requirements for the Belize
Getting married in Belize is simple and your marriage will be valid internationally.
- Both parties MUST be in the country at least three days prior to applying for the Marriage License.
- The marriage license can be acquired either in Belize City at the Registrar General’s Office (phone number: 501-227-7377) or in Belmopan at the Attorney General’s Ministry. If you want to apply for the license in Belmopan, you’ll need to schedule an appointment at least a day in advance by calling 501-822-2504.
- License Application must be completed and signed in the presence of a Justice of the Peace (JP). You can ask for a Justice of Peace in your area.
- The completed and signed Marriage License Application must be presented to the General Registrar or Attorney General with the following documents
- Proof of identification (your passport) for both parties
- Proof of Marital status. If either party is divorced, they must show a certified copy of the divorce decree. If either party is widowed, that party must show a certified copy of the death certificate.
- Photocopy of the first two pages of each person’s passports and a copy of the page in each passport that shows the Belize entry stamp.
- If either party is under age 18, he or she must have a signed and notarized consent from their parents in order to get married.
- License fees of US $100, plus administrative fee of US $5.
Please Note that:
- The license can be obtained within two days after the application is filed.
- Only a Belizean minister, ship captain, or registered Justice of the Peace can officiate the wedding ceremony.
- During the ceremony, there must be at least two witnesses, including one man and one woman. If the couple do not have anyone to stand as witnesses, they can ask someone from Belize including hotel staff or guests to perform this function.
- Most hotels will help with your arrangements including securing a minister or officer of the court to perform the ceremony. You may also choose to hire one of the many local Wedding Planners. However, if you wish to make these arrangements on your own, please contact the Registry Department (phone number: 501-227-7377) before you leave home to secure a licensed person and court date to perform a legal ceremony.
- Once you’re married in Belize, the marriage will be instantly valid in every other country in the world, so you won’t have to file any additional paperwork when you get home. The official language of Belize is English, so your marriage certificate will also be in English in case you need it to update your driver’s license, bank accounts, and other personal affairs.
Important Links For Belize
Entry Requirements for Belize
How to Get to Belize
Find Airlines and Flights to Belize: https://www.travelbelize.org/arrive
Find a Travel Agent: https://www.travelbelize.org/getting-here/travel-agents
Getting Around Belize:
Places to Stay in Belize
Things To Do in Belize
Events taking place in Belize
Dining in Belize
Restaurants in Belize City: https://belizing.com/Best-Restaurants-in-Belize-City-Belize-District/
Restaurants in Belmopan: https://www.belmopanonline.com/belmopan-restaurants
Restaurants on Ambergris Caye: https://ambergriscaye.com/pages/goodscv/restaurants.html