Currency: Peso (MXN)
Airports: Cozumel International Airport (CZM)
Known for: Scuba diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, and fishing
Official Tourism Website: mexicancaribbean.travel/isla-cozumel/
Drives on the: Right Side
Calling Code: +1 987
Country, Liberty, Work and Culture
Cozumel is the largest island in the Mexican Caribbean. From its beautiful white sand beaches and world-famous coral reefs to its rich history with Mayan ruins and natural wonders, Cozumel is a place of adventure and relaxation where all kinds of activities are performed in natural settings.
Known world-wide as one of the best places for diving, Cozumel has a variety of dive zones with amazing wall reefs, some with limestone tunnels and caves, that reach great depths. These reefs are home to turtles, sharks, parrotfish, giant anemones, hermit crabs and the endemic Cozumel Toad Fish. The coral formations and crystalline warm waters of Cozumel are legendary.
The integration that exists between locals and visitors is something that surprises the nights in Cozumel. From sunset to sunrise, the island comes to life differently.
Be sure to visit the pedestrian zone of San Miguel, where you can find different restaurants-bars that offer live music, good drinks and a great atmosphere - lively and relaxed at the same time.
The beauty of this island will ignite your heart and soul. Cozumel’s white sand and crystal blue water is the perfect setting for any Dream Wedding. So, whether you’re looking to have an intimate event or an extravagant one, a number of wedding planners are waiting to work with you and design the wedding of your dreams.
Marriage Requirements for Isla Cozumel, Mexico
- The procedures must be carried out before the Civil Registry offices.
- Proof of non-existence of State Marriage
- Birth Certificate of the parties
- CURP (Only for Mexicans)
- Identification of the parties and four witnesses (INE or valid Passport). If any of the parties is a minor, present as certified identification of studies.
- Prenuptial analysis (V.D.R.L., V.I.H. and R.H.) Certified by a doctor (both documents signed, sealed and with professional identification number) 15 days in force.
- If any of the parties is a minor (16 or 17 years old), their parents can sign up as witnesses and if the parents are not there, they will have to present the marriage waiver (they issue it in the family court)
- If they are widowed or divorced, file a certificate.
Please note that all documentation must be submitted in original and 2 copies.
In Mexico, a pastor, a priest, or a rabbi DO NOT have the legal authority to perform civil weddings. The civil - legal marriage process is handled by judges from the Civil Registry Office, and generates a Marriage Certificate that as a public document, permanently filed with the State Civil Registry office in Chetumal, capital of the State of Quintana Roo, México at:
Av. Ignacio Zaragoza 151, Centro, 77000 Chetumal, Q.R., Mexico
Phone: +52 983 832 8521
Important Links for Isla Cozumel, Mexico
To learn more about Cozumel, please see the important links below:
Entry Requirements for Cozumel
Passport and Visas: https://www.mexicancaribbean.travel/travel-information/getting-here/passports-visas/
Airport and Customs: https://www.mexicancaribbean.travel/travel-information/getting-here/airports-customs/